What is Java?
Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few. It’s also integral to the intranet applications and other e-business solutions that are the foundation of corporate computing.
Why download Java ?
Java technology allows you to work and play in a secure computing environment. Upgrading to the latest Java version improves the security of your system, as older versions do not include the latest security updates.
Download Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few.
The procedure to install Java broadly consists of:
- Download Java and Install File
- Test Installation
» Windows System Requirements
Note: Installing Java requires that you can gain administrator access to Windows on your computer.
It is recommended, before you proceed with online installation you may want to disable your Internet firewall. In some cases the default firewall settings are set to reject all automatic or online installations such as the Java online installation. If the firewall is not configured appropriately it may stall the download/install operation of Java under certain conditions. Refer to your specific Internet firewall manual for instructions on how to disable your Internet Firewall.
- Go to as-is.net and click on the Free Java Download button
- On the Firefox download page click on the Agree and Start Free Download button
- The File Download dialog box appears, click on the Save File button
- Double click on the downloaded file in the Download Manager window or where you normally save download files.
- : Depending on your security settings, you may be presented with dialogs asking for permission to continue. Confirm you want to proceed with the installation.
- The installation process starts. Click the Install button to accept the license terms and to continue with the installation.
- Oracle has partnered with companies that offer various products. The installer may present you with option to install these programs when you install Java. After ensuring that the desired programs are selected, click the Next button to continue the installation.
- A few brief dialogs confirm the last steps of the installation process; click Close on the last dialog. This will complete Java installation process.
Detect older versions (8u20 and later versions). Starting with Java 8 Update 20 (8u20), on Windows systems, the Java Uninstall Tool is integrated with the installer to provide an option to remove older versions of Java from the system. The change is applicable to 32 bit and 64 bit Windows platforms.
Notifications about disabled Java and restoring prompts
The installer notifies you if Java content is disabled in web browsers, and provides instructions for enabling it. If you previously chose to hide some of the security prompts for applets and Java Web Start applications, the installer provides an option for restoring the prompts. The installer may ask you to reboot your computer if you chose not to restart an internet browser when it prompted you to do so.